Pyrotechnic Formula For Green Firework Stars Without Barium Nitrate or Chlorate

Thanks to Norm for this one. For years, it was not possible for us to ship either barium nitrate or chlorate. So, this star was developed for people who do not have those green-producing oxidizers on hand, or who preferred not to use them for safety or toxicity reasons. This firework star has no apparent yellow and burns reasonably fast. The composition is quite simple; all parts are by weight.

Radiant Green Firework Star
40%   Potassium perchlorate
30% Barium carbonate
15% Dark pyro aluminum (or any superfine aluminum)
15% Parlon or saran

Make sure all ingredients are talcum-powder-fine. Keep the aluminum mesh size very fine to maintain color depth. We recommend using either dark aluminum or 9 micon aluminum. Screen the composition several times and mix very well using a 40 mesh screen.

For cut stars, mix with straight acetone. Cut the stars. Use a hot prime with or a step prime. If you want rolled firework stars, add an extra 5% dextrin to the composition and bind with water and 25% alcohol instead of acetone.

Substituting -200 mesh magnesium-aluminum for the aluminum gives the firework star deeper color and adds an interesting, slightly aqua appearance. Unique!

HG's note: Although I haven't tried it, I expect you could eliminate the acetone (and its problems) and even make cut firework stars out of these by adding +5% dextrin and bind with water.

Notes on Radiant Green Firework Star from Charley Wilson:

"Regarding substituting -200 mesh magnesium-aluminum (magnalium) for the aluminum...his is really similar to the Veline green--hard to light and blows blind a lot.

The use of magnalium is recommended. Magnesium would work also, and would give you a star closer to a go-getter result, but needs to use parlon with MEK as the solvent.

Regarding the magnesium-aluminum producing an aqua color... He may have some copper in there somewhere, probably in the magnalium as an alloy impurity. This is common in European versions of the alloy. I don't see an aqua color when I add magnalium.

Yes, it's an OK green, but not as deep as ammonium perchlorate-based greens or the old barium chlorate/shellac green. And, yes, I have made similar stars using saran/parlon stars and bound with dextrin. My version was: 42 perchlorate, 28 barium carbonate, 14 saran, 6 sulfur, 10 magnalium +5 dextrin.

Sulfur really helps the burn rate and seems to reduce cinder."
Previous article How To Make Black Powder Rockets
Next article How to Make a 1.75-Inch Shell Rocket Heading